This has been a fun week. Cai is getting more and more eager to learn, and I'm introducing new activities and thinking about ways to support his weaknesses. There have been also been a lot of social contact with family, lots of playing in indoor playgrounds because of the on and off weather, plus a couple of special events: a homeschooling barbeque, library (as usual) and a Christmas craft workshop.

The barbeque was great. I learned a lot more about homeschooling in my state, I've put my hand up to help in establishing a co op, and most of all Cai had a wonderful time playing with the others.

This has taken a lot of pushing past my own comfort zone--but he's my kid. Right now, he is all about playing with other kids and making friends, so I'm giving him every opportunity. He plays well, taking turns and helping with other kids, and is getting better and better at semi-organised play.

Most of Cai's time is spent on play, but he gets through an astounding amount of work as well--maybe because the lines are a bit blurred in our house. He's so eager to learn.


Writing

The craft workshop was interesting because part of what Cai did was paint glue on a colouring in picture and colour it with glitter. While I swear the other mothers did theirs for their kids, who sat bored and passive while their mothers carefully filled in areas with the correct colour of glitter, Cai lavished paint and glitter everywhere.

About halfway through,  enjoying himself immensely, he looked at the perfect pictures the others had and wanted to start over. I had to encourage him in that everything he did was his and perfect. In the end, he cheered up and was really excited when his other mummy picked us up from the library, and couldn't wait to show her. His wooden wreath was similar: other mothers produced perfect wreaths for their offspring, while Cai had a messy, imperfect one he joyfully decorated with pipecleaners and stickers.

I like his better.

It reminds me, though, that Caius is lacking in a lot of prewriting skills. He is averse to drawing or colouring in, so lots of the informal practice with pencil control that other kids get doesn't happen for him. We think, and have discussed with his paediatrician, that this is down to sensory issues: he can't easily judge the contact of pens with paper.

He has some wipe-clean writing workbooks he likes to do, but his strokes are completely uncontrolled and wobbly, he struggles with correct grip--although he tries hard--and he tires quickly. We picked up some pencil grips this week that might help, and I've also been thinking through other strategies.

One is using my graphics tablet. If I turn off pressure sensitivity on the stylus, he can make firm, clear lines with any pressure. It does involve separating the movements of his hand with what he sees on the screen, which is hardly ideal.

And there is typing, of course. When we play learning games on the computer, he often likes to tap the key on the keyboard before selecting it with the mouse. I'm wondering if a mini-keyboard, designed for games controllers, would be a good investment.

Tonight, though, I've been doing more reading, and I've become interested in the idea of teaching cursive first. (I completely rejected it at first.) The theory is that it's actually easier for kids with sensory issues to use because there's not so much lifting and finding new positions, and less discrete pre-writing shapes. I read a lot of articles, but this one assesses the evidence well.

Another idea I stumbled across that is all over Pinterest and the educational blogosphere is salt box writing. Using a stiff brush or chopsticks, the kid makes shapes (later letters) in salt in a box, and gets added sensory feedback from the salt. This is definitely an idea I want to incorporate: going back to basics and making a game of making the shapes of cursive writing, eventually progressing to letters and letter groups.

I do need to do some more research, as I know there is a suggested (non-alphabetical) order for learning cursive letters, but I want to focus on getting prewriting shapes down first.

(ETA: cursive word groups are covered here.)


Electronic learning

Using apps has been big in Cai's learning from early on. He's a big fan of the mostly free Baby Bus apps that teach everything from manners to maths to where babies come from. He's crazy about Putt-Putt, is making his way through the second stage of Teach Your Monster to Read (free and excellent phonics programme), plays a variety of maths games with me and  is fond of playing "make a word" games with me like Words for Evil, AlphabearScribblenauts and Letterquest.

One thing we've really liked is Skoolbo, where he competed in maths and literacy tasks, tied to the Australian curriculum, against other children. A short while ago, though, it shifted to a paid--subscription-for-homeschoolers model, which annoyed me so much that I didn't look at the  updated version.

This week, however, I logged in. I don't know if I've been grandfathered in, but there seemed no pay barrier. I really like the update. There are actual lessons now, and daily tasks to earn animal badges, which he finds motivating.

What is not motivating is that the lessons have taken him right back to the beginning in literacy: letter recognition and blending. He's far past that point. He sight reads, but he also segments and blends (naturally or because of Teach Your Monster to Read) to work out unfamiliar words, and can usually take a hell of a good guess.

The games, however, have kept track of his learning. There are a lot of new games now too, which is nice. If it does start charging us, I think I'll have to shell out for a subscription, because it's great.

I need to find out if there's a way to skip past the lessons, because I know from experience how boring it is to be taught something you already know inside out.

The best thing, though, is the 500 ebooks they have added. Cai loves the Storypod at the library, which reads ebooks to him while highlighting the words. He was desperate to buy it as an app. It's not an app, it's a thing for libraries and schools which literally costs thousands of dollars even in the tablet version. But is Skoolbo has that now, it's a huge incentive. He read one book three times in a row.

(ETA: okay, they charged us after a trial, but only $25AU for the first year. Definitely worth it.)

We've also been trying Studyladder. I was mixed on it when I was looking around, and the language options are rubbish, but the Science section was a hit. Cai enjoyed learning about farms and food production, which ties to the current Pokemon Badge we are working on, and he loved classifying living things. He also read all the questions and answers himself, sometimes aloud to me, sometimes in his head (reading and selecting the correct answer).

See what I mean about not needing to learn letter recognition and blending? For a four year old, he's doing pretty great.

For now, the free version is fine. We'll see how much he likes it down the line.


Workbooks

Cai is still enjoying these, much to my surprise. In fact, he requested (and got) a new workbook on time recognition and money, "because I really want to learn them". 


Boardgames, other games, reading and freeplay

Boardgames  an important part of our week. What is most interesting right now is that Cai is really taking on board the lessons about balanced meals in his favourite games, especially Tummy Trouble and Lunch Time.  He has become very interested in making sure he eats enough vegetables and that I put plenty in when we cook together (preparing and adding vegetables to the thermomix is his job), and tonight, for the first time ever, he ate all the brocolli in his dinner.

I feel a bit like we're brainwashing him, but it's great.

There's been a lot of lego and brick building lately. Probably because he has a Star Wars advent calendar.

Free play has been in playgrounds, indoors and out, and he's also done a lot of imaginative play with his Skylander figures.

His favourite game right now, though, is playing vet. He spent his pocket money on a toy horse and tiny vet set, and he's been taking care of his sick horse every day, scanning it for broken bones, bandaging, feeding, medicating, grooming and vaccinating it.

We're going to take advantage of the interest and teach him more about animal care.

His other mummy also came up with the best game ever, making a cardboard vending machine and putting him inside as the robot taking money and dispensing candy. :D

Reading wise, favourite book at the moment is the Guinness Book of Video Games Records. It's replaced cake, recipe and pokemon books for the moment!

I've also borrowed Bedtime Math from the library, and we're integrating solving funny maths problems into his bedtime routine.



Project based learning

Cai is working on a new badge with me--Pizza. :) It doesn't just involve pizza, but we started with pizza making, and we've advanced to related things like yeast balloon experiments, chemistry of baking soda vs yeast producing carbon dioxide, food production (in a natural flow from the Seed badge...), as well as things like measuring and fractions.

More on that when he finishes making his badge and I do his Badge report!

The stuff he learned in the Seed badge is sticking. He's showing great interest in plants, seeds and grains. His yell of triumph when he finds seeds in fruit is kind of awesome. :) Seriously, he is so damn cute.

I want him to always enjoy learning so much.









Weekly Report: It's begining to feel a lot like Christmas

Posted on

Sunday 10 December 2017

1 Comment